Monday, July 15, 2013

Talk UP^ Tucson... event: Quotes Worth Sharing

I admit it.  One of the aftereffects of my PhD (circa University of Arizona, 1996) was my affinity for data collecting, particularly through informal qualitative/ethographic observations, group interactions and interviews.  Even when I don't know if the information will "go anywhere", I can't make myself throw away notes.  So, from yesterday's Talk UP^ Tucson... book houseparty here are quotes from some of the participants, only attributed by a first name initial.  Thanks to all for sharing and opening your hearts and minds.
****

I:  Good idea...to talk about the pluses and minuses of Tucson.....Can progress be done?

K:  I am frustrated with groups, egos...am drawing away from the Tucson community...[but] while I am here, I want to be happy....

M:  I love the town but I have my moments....

R1:  ...neighborhoods are key components to authentic empowerment....  A neighborhood is defined by boundaries...a community is made up of people we have an emotional connection with....

N:  ...I am interested in how we can build resilience....

J:  I am curious about the intersection of community and happiness....  I know there is a lot of burn out in community work....  If it's not fun, why do it?...

R2:  ...Tucson could be a really great city...but we go down the wrong path....

B1:  I am burnt out.  I am happy with my life but unhappy in my neighborhood....  I am here to learn something....

B2:  I've gotten a bit disgruntled living in this neighborhood...[there is] a chipping away.  I came to see what's happening outside of neighborhood association meetings....

C:  ...I love my house but I don't love what's happened around me...infill...crime....  I am always looking for something positive.

D:  ...I live in a neighborhood 80% and I am a renter...I want to make a little corner [of it] better.



No comments: